Frequently Asked Questions

What is a structural engineer consult?

During an on-site consultation with a member of our team you will discuss all your concerns and/or plans for your home. Our standard consults do not include deliverables; however, they do set the stage for the next steps.

The on-site consultation starts at $800 and includes:

  • Assessing the property and condition

  • Determine damages and limits

  • Take pictures and videos

The purpose of the assessment is to:

  • Outline next steps to move forward with your project.

  • Determine and discuss potential costs associated with your project.

Do I need a Structural Engineering consult?

Yes, if…

  • you are buying, selling, or building.

  • there are signs of building distress.

  • you have renovations planned.

  • you need feasibility studies.

  • you want peace of mind during your construction process.

Is there a fee associated with a consult?

Yes, there is a fee.


Should I have a structural engineer tell me if I can remove a wall in my house?

Yes. A structural engineer will tell you if the wall is of significant importance to the home. Significantly important walls do not just include the HGTV buzz word of “load bearing wall”, but shear walls as well.

Does Massey perform structural inspections?

We sure do! We perform them for both residential and commercial buildings. 

What happens after the consult?

Sometimes nothing at all! Sometimes the Consult will address any concerns or feasibility studies. If deliverables are needed for your project, we will discuss with you what that looks like and have our engineering team get to work!

Does Massey offer any type of written report?

We offer a plethora of deliverables catered to your unique situation. Sometimes a stamped report is warranted, and other times a drafted set of plans will be. Our consult helps to determine the entire scope of work that is needed.

What is the difference betwen a stamped report/letter and a plan set?

A stamped report is just that, a report with verbiage and pictures, while a Plan Set is a drawing of your project.

How do I know which type of deliverable I need?

The type of deliverable you will receive is dictated by the type of project you have. Ultimately, the type of deliverable you will receive is at the discretion of our lead engineer.

Please note that many times clients are directed to contact us for a “stamped letter”, however, during a consult it may be determined that more is needed to appropriately complete your project.

Does Massey offer architectural servies and/or any other engineering disciplines?

If it is determined that architectural services and/or other engineers, such as Geotechnical or MEP (mechanical, electrical and plumbing) are needed we can coordinate within our network and provide them for an additional fee.

How far out are consults scheduled?

Consults in SC can usually be scheduled within 1 to 5 days. Out of state are typically 1-2 weeks.

How long does it take to receive deliverables, if applicable?

Once the consult is complete, we’ll assign your project to the team on the next available Friday to begin that following Monday. Once your project is assigned, we typically turn them around within 1 to 3 weeks of the start date. Obviously, some projects will take longer than others.

Do you offer expedited services?

We sure do! Internally we call these the Little Caesars Hot-N-Ready’s. We keep a certain amount of availability each week for the stop-work orders, last-minute real estate deals, etc. There are additional fees involved for Hot-N-Ready’s.

What does the Massey Team look like?

The Massey Team is comprised of Professional Engineers (PE), Engineers-in-Training (EIT), Engineering Technicians and other construction professionals.

Together we have over 60 years of combined experience!

What is an engineering technician?

An Engineering Technician is a trained professional under the direct supervision of a Professional Engineer.

What if my project requires an architect in addition to structural engineering?

That’s not a problem! Our sister company, Phase One, is a licensed architecture firm.

What is the difference between an architect and a structural engineer?

A rivalry as old as time! Simply put, an architect focuses on the aesthetics and uses of the building, while a structural engineer focuses on the structure itself to ensure it is up to the task of supporting all of the loads that will be imposed on it throughout the building’s design life.

What is your territory?

Currently, we provide our services in South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia. However, we are actively expanding our territory as projects and relationships present themselves. Check back periodically for an updated list, or reach out if you have a project in a state not listed.

Does Massey work with any general contracting firms?

We work with only the best general contractors in the area. If our sister company, Azalea, cannot help then we have a list of others who can.